By faith Abraham obeyed…and he went out, not knowing where he was going. Hebrews 11:8 (NKJV)
Change can be scary, especially if you don’t know exactly where it is leading you. I wonder how Abraham felt when God called him to leave everything familiar to head off into the unknown (Genesis 12).
Change is absolutely necessary if we want to go for all God has for us. Here are reasons you may resist it:
1. Fear. It’s normal to be nervous when facing change, but it does not need to hold you back. If you make the change, what is the worst that can happen? Actually, what could happen if you don’t change might be worse!
2. Pride. False security is the enemy of change. You may not always see the room for improvement, but it’s there. Proverbs 18:12 (NLT) says Haughtiness goes before destruction; humility precedes honor.
3. Rebellion. If you have a rebellious attitude, you may come against every change initiated simply because you do not like to be led. Jesus wants us to be servant leaders, not lone rangers: whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant (Matthew 20:26-27, NKJV).
4. Laziness. You may resist change because you are comfortable. ‘New’ means extra work, but don’t be afraid to put the effort in.
5. Ignorance. You may assume things that are going well will always continue to. Unfortunately, without constant change and growth, you fall backward. Change is always vital.
Be on the lookout for these enemies of change within you. Also, know that if God is behind the change, He also empowers you to achieve it!